Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Good Wednesday Morning!

What a great day to wake up to! It rained all night, but the sky was so clear this morning I could smell the clouds.

The slightly misty morning was chilly too, but I wanted to feel the fog so I kept my windbreaker in my backpack and simply enjoyed the wind. I came across a few school boys on bicycles who, upon seeing me, saluted me with respect.

As I reached Hospital Tunku Ampuan Rahimah, another rider, complete with helmet, FOX jersey, gloves and cycling shoes came up fast from behind, then slowed down alongside me giving us both the chance to say “hi” to each other. After that, he accelerated so quickly, I didn’t quite keep up. But I realized he wasn’t sweating, so I figured he probably just started, while I had covered 10 km earlier. And besides, his bike looked like a lighter kind and he didn’t carry a backpack.

When I got to the Port Klang roundabout, the traffic policeman actually stopped the cars to allow me to make a 3-o’clock maneuver. THAT’s how much VIP treatment a bicycle rider gets compared to a car driver. Pedaling through the little Indian town, I ran into a flock of pigeons. Some flew off. Some just stayed to feel my wheels brushing by. Flying feathers, bird shit smell, I experienced them all.

I stopped to give a man directions to the train station, for otherwise he, who seemed so lost, would not have anyone around to ask, as everybody was fast in their cars and motorbikes trying to complete the rat race. As I cycled up the bridge crossing the river, I passed an elderly Sikh man on an old “Rolex” bicycle and greeted him, “Good morning”.

I think today my cycling boosted my “karma”, strengthened my “chi” and enhanced my personality somewhat.

No comments: