Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Road Not Selfishly Chosen...

…is the Road Less Travelled. Unfortunately, we left the junction so far back, it is impossible to make a U-turn.

Do you watch Desperate Housewives? Do you watch it because it’s got good “foreign” reviews, or because everyone else is watching it? Do you really enjoy watching it, or do you just feel you should watch it? Do you feel you’d be left behind if you miss an episode? Are you left out if you don’t keep up with the vogue?

Here's the deal: Nobody is left behind. We are all, right now, traveling on the road that we choose. Sometimes selfishly. Things are exactly what they are supposed to be. No more. No less.

Of course, no one decides, "I'm going to leave school with just enough grades to get into college, be a successful professional who can afford a comfortable house, and then I shall wonder why, after being married for 10 years, I didn’t meet much earlier the man/woman I just got to know"

Or "I'm going to abandon college only to realize that I will not be successful in pursuing my dream job, and so I will earn my wage doing things I don’t like but at least I will be happily married and can afford a car with power window problems."

No. We never get to choose like that, because the choice is not single and a one-off event. The choices are made every day, every hour, every moment.

To dine in or to take away? To buy that dress now when it’s on discount or to wait until you really need it? To read a book or to switch on that TV? To pursue what we want or to make do with what we have? To stay or to leave?

And in the big scheme of things, most people think they can freely choose what to do with their lives. But things have always been, will always be what they were/are supposed to be. After a lifetime of choosing, we are not left behind. We are left with the road we currently have.

And it was all of our own selfish choosing.

No comments: