Monday, June 18, 2007

If you must buy a brand new car for transportation

You are not looked at as well off if you drive a Nissan Sentra. You are not considered cool if you drive a Honda City. You are not deemed successful if you own a Toyota Vios. You are not of any higher class if you bought a Chevrolet. I’m speaking as a true car enthusiast, so my opinion may not count to you. But in the real world of all things automotive, driving those cars I mention are some of the ways to demonstrate anybody’s lack of interest in cars. Why we buy them anyway? For the vogue? For practicality? Give me a break! No. Better, give me a Proton Juara. Now that’s practical!

Cars in vogue are like teenage pop music. At worst, they are Tommy Page’s songs. They help you socialize, then they suck out your self-esteem so bad you wish you had no association with them in the first place. On the other hand, practical cars are like Wilson Phillips’ songs (note: this has got nothing to do with Chynna Phillips’ buxom chest. I KNEW you would relate me to THAT!). The songs are easy to listen to and don’t hurt your ego when you grow old. You could listen to them now like an old shoe that still has the ability to take you places of fresh perspectives and emotions. Adult contemporary. That’s the kind of cars you should be driving. Adult contemporary. Don’t waste your time on vogue.

Although I am now campaigning cycle-to-work, I acknowledge the fact that most of us still need the car. When deciding on a brand new car, car magazine reviews are not valid in this country. Your bank account is. So in order to save the economy of our country and ourselves, here are my Top Four cars you can consider if you must buy a car. Only if you must.

Toyota Avanza – This car sits 7 people, yet compact. Mini MPV works, and this one goes up a notch because it has aircon vents for rear passengers and the reliable Toyota DVVT engine.

Any Proton – except the Wira (unless you want to turn it into a taxi) and the Iswara sedan (even if you want to turn it into a taxi).

Any Perodua – except the Kancil. Yes I love the Kancil, but against quality, it is overpriced now.

Any BMW – except the Z3 (unless it is a coupe), the X3 (unless you are as ugly) and the 1-series (unless you are a woman). The other number Series, Z series and M series are ok. Just don’t get the convertible versions (unless you’re metro-sexual).

Of course you know, our kids are going to pay for our car-culture.

p/s. 1

BMWs are not Wilson Phillips though. They are more like Joni Mitchell meets Pearl Jam - they excite your endorphin and tease your testosterone.

p/s. 2
I think I’ll drop by Tower Records today and pick up Wilson Phillips’ first album just for old time sake. After all, one CD only costs half of my gas tank, which I already saved by 2-days of cycling to work.

No comments: