Thursday, June 28, 2007

I'm all carbonised

May I introduce you to my ex-GTS M5 Expert Racing mountainbike, the very bike that appeared with me in the Star newspaper. Made of 7005 series aluminium alloy, the frame was painted in the famous blue and white BMW F1 colour – the official BMW livery, which became complete when I bought Michelin tyres and Michelin-sponsored drink bottle. But of course, this is all history. I sold the bike to a deserving young lad who was looking for a decent mtb to participate in the next Eco-Challenge.


Am I without a bike now? No, ‘coz I just bought a new one as a Father’s Day gift. I didn’t have to, but the new bike is too sexy to ignore. I am not sure whether it was the high tech look or the light weightiness of the material, but my normally quite restrained mindset seemed to metamorphose as soon as I laid my eyes upon the carbon mtb.

Allow me to introduce you to my new SARS Demon mtb. Made entirely of carbon fibre – the exact material that shapes Formula One cars, the Demon is so light it goes uphill like it has wings. Look under the fine lacquer finish and ogle at that sexy fibre weave. The frame joints are so smooth without a trace of weld. Carbon fibre is not all about beauty and strength. I figured…if I must buy my last bike, it has to be the one that really stands the test of time. And yes, carbon fibre doesn’t rust, dent or bend.


Expensive? Well, let’s just say I had to sell off my ‘ol skool choppers, all three of them, just to help fund the purchase of my carbon queen.



No comments: