Monday, July 16, 2007

Soul Sold


I took the plunge!

I sold my car and migrated to the unknown realm of car-less world. Big decision? You bet. Panic? Slightly.

It was sad looking at my car being driven away today. I didn’t get the RM7,000 cash I anticipated, though. After the wild goose-chase from KL-Kuantan-KL last Saturday where I broke all speed records, I blew the gasket, overcooked the brakes and burned the manifold. Drifting also punished the rear wheels, shredding them into pieces of bacon (beef – halal!). So with all the repairs, re-tweaking and re-tuning to be done, I was offered RM5,000 cash for the 23-year-old German junk that got me broke.

On the flipside, I didn’t just look at my car being driven away. I looked at this fake and temporary obsession that turned into my evil pride and passion. I was once the fastest, the quickest…but no more. This is a real Hijrah for me. I am now reduced to naught. I am nothing. I am nothing but a Caliph of the Creator of this planet that we are destroying by our own self-indulgence.

The automobile industry and its infratrusture is ruining the country, ecologically and socially. And I don't believe in blood for oil, which is the basis of USA's foreign policy. I am about to save my children, your children and the children of the world.

I shall cycle my bike around happy knowing I am not damaging to harmonious human development. I shall be wealthier (with the ability to give more to charity) and healthier (as cycling will improve my physique and will make me look good naked).

No comments: