Monday, July 23, 2007

Worry no more

It’s been raining all night and this morning. As I waited for the bus to work, I looked at the cars passing by. Old. New. Some were well used and abused. Some seemed well looked after. Shiny? None of them were. If the owner had washed and waxed over the weekend, it didn’t show as the rain just spoilt it all. And that made me feel glad for not owning a car. The worry is just not worth it.

For the past one week I have been peeping through my bedroom window to catch a last glimpse of my car before going to sleep, like I used to – to see how its gleaming paintwork reflects in the moonlight and also to check if it is safely tucked in. But all I saw was an empty porch. Do I miss my car? Yes I do, and all for the right reasons now. No more worrying if it’s going to be broken into. No more worrying if the droppings from the bats, the birds, the chickens, the cats and the lizards will damage its paintwork. No more worrying if the rain is going to defeat my weekend washing and waxing efforts.

Thunderstorms? So what! Lightning-struck trees? Doesn’t bother me now. Landslide? I’m cool. You see, when you have no car, you have no car to lose!

There are other things I am missing (or not missing) too – no more going circles at Megamall trying to find a parking space. No more waiting with my signal lights blinking for the nearest car to leave its parking lot. No more worrying about parking too far from security. No more worrying when my insurance and roadtax will expire. No more worrying about which item on my budget I should chuck aside to finance the expiring insurance and roadtax. I can do a long list on this, but I suppose you can tell me what you don’t like about motoring and that just about sums it up pretty well.

If you are driving any of my favorite or dream cars, I may admire your car. But I don’t envy you one bit. In fact, I feel sorry for you for owning it.

p/s 1
Yes I do get stuck in the jam while in the bus sometimes, but I can take a nap, a luxury I wouldn’t have had if I was driving!

p/s 2
Now I don’t have to worry about whether my children will quarrel over who will inherit my car when I die. Pure peace of mind.

No comments: