Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Less Tool; More Work

The greatest wealth is to live content with little. - Plato




Men never talk about wardrobe, but I’m willing to make an exception. I have downsized my wardrobe and intend to keep things minimal. My professional outfit collection now consists of:

Four work shirts, for the five-day work week. Yes, one gets worn twice in the same week.
Two black pants, one I keep in the office, the other at home
One black neck tie. I gave away all the other neck ties.
One black jacket, which I keep in the office for business meets
One batik shirt, for batik-required functions
One black baju Melayu suit, for national functions
Two black pairs of shoes, the good pair in the office, the slightly holey at home

So those are my professional outfit. I say “professional”, because these are just tools for the job. When I retire, these are quite useless.

I don’t wear jewelry, not even a ring. I don’t wear a watch anymore since my Breitling broke. I don’t wear belts, and I definitely don’t accessorize myself with cufflinks or tie-pins.

As for my wife, I’m imagining her ideal wardrobe would be:

Five blouses
Three pants
One pair of sandal
One pair of shoes
Two, maybe three baju kurungs for special occasions
At least 30 pieces of lingerie

Well, the last item I admit is quite a lot, but lingerie involves very little fabric.

No comments: