Thursday, March 26, 2009

time is all you want and need

Time in the wild reminds me how much of what I ordinarily do is mere dithering, how much of what I own is mere encumbrance. The opposite of simplicity, as I understand it, is not complexity but clutter. - Scott Sander


My friend currently working at Flextronics will be out of work come April. My wife’s cousins who worked at Toshiba and NEC have been laid off much earlier. Notice they are all in the electronics industry.
We are experiencing the rippling effects of the economic turmoil, but at least we learn something – when money is tight, people don’t see electrical or electronic gadgets as essentials in life.
It makes us think about the stuff (electronic or otherwise) we have in our homes and whether it really makes us happy. Happy for a moment, maybe. But content? I don’t think so. We always seem to want more. In the end, we end up working for the rest of our lives to pay for the stuff we thought would make us happy.

I made so many mistakes in my life. Although mostly financial (spending on non-essentials), they led to many bad outcomes on relationship, friendship etc, psychologically, emotionally, spiritually etc.

Not to sound morbid, but on our deathbed, I bet we wouldn’t be worrying about that IKEA sofa bed on discount, the 42” flatscreen TV on offer, the PlayStation and the Guitar Hero game combo, the iPhone our friends bought, or the Proton Exora people are recommending.

On our deathbed, we wouldn’t be worrying about the holes in our socks, or the crack in our windshield.

On our deathbed, we wouldn’t be wondering if our office colleague was a B-cup or a C-cup bra size. (Well, ok, that’s just me when I am really alive and kicking. But I’m kicking the habit! Cut me some slack, will ya?)

On our deathbed, we would instead be thinking, “How I wish I had spend more time with/on…”

The keyword is “time”. Time with our family. Time with friends. Time with nature. Time with oneself.
They say time is money. That’s not true. Time is more valuable than money. Time makes us happy. We never even realized that. And time is free.

No comments: