Sunday, March 11, 2007

Polygamy from another perspective

I am against polygamy. Not that it’s not permissible, because it is. Not because I can’t afford it, although I admit I can’t. But because I believe men (bar the prophet) can never be just. That’s from a man’s point of view. Now that I’ve set the record straight, let me talk about polygamy from a woman’s perspective.

Before I do that, let me put on my thinking bra and panties so that I’ll think like a woman. Wow, now THAT feels weird! I just realised that the distance between the belly button and the crotch is further in women.

Now let’s say I am either a single career woman or a 30 year old career mom of one kid whose husband passed away long enough for me to get it over. Destiny has it that I meet a 60 year old man who is stinking rich, married to a 55 year old woman and has “adult” kids. This man is healthy, looks good for his age and haven’t had sex since the wife menopaused about 8 years ago. I am not saying he’s hitting on me, because he’s not. He’s just being a good friend. But me, a mid-age widow who doesn’t feel attractive, obviously enjoy the attention I get.

Like any woman, I am against polygamy.

I don’t know how this friendship will end. Should we remain as friends, then all is well. Should I end up being his 2nd wife…not to say all is hell, but I‘d like to emphasise that his wealth is not the reason why I am with him because I have a career which I can survive on. But his wealth is the reason why I approve polygamy in his case because he can afford it, unlike some men who marry more than one and end up being broke and bring depression to the entire marriage institution.

So should we end up together as husband and wife, does that make me a husband-snatcher? Bear in mind that this is no Jolie-between-Aniston-&-Pitt scenario. This is 30-year-old-between-60-and-55-year-olds scenario.

I never thought being a woman can be this confusing. The bra and panties don’t help. I’m taking them off now.

Comments anyone? And please don’t give me that “No woman would be happy to see her husband taking another wife” notion. I am aware of that and in total agreement.

No comments: